Ryan Meeks: The Heretical Enlightenment
Do you have a real relationship with God or do you believe in what someone taught you to believe about that Higher Power?
Former minister Ryan Meeks describes his walk away from a very successful career as a minister of an evangelical megachurch and how he discovered true healing and a far greater life purpose in this very spiritual Living 4D conversation.
Learn more about Ryan’s work at his website and social media via Instagram.
- Ryan shares an interesting connection with Carl Jung. (11:57)
- The person Ryan was a decade ago would scare the crap out of him today. (30:00)
- Fundamentalism + business systems = megachurch. (35:10)
- The sandcastle of Ryan’s faith began to wash away as he was exposed to different worldviews. (41:58)
- The Time magazine articles reporting on EastLake Community Church’s public support for the LGBTQI community were the tsunami that ended Ryan’s career in organized religion. (47:35)
- Fundamentalist religion plays off a very human felt sense of separation with “a cure” for a manufactured problem. (54:40)
- Ryan never really knew God in a spiritual way until after he left the ministry. (1:04:56)
- Ryan’s father, a longtime minister, handled the news of his shift away from evangelicalism remarkably well. (1:16:31)
- How do people get programmed into faulty belief systems? (1:34:12)
- What is your unmet task? (1:52:58)
- “We need to learn the way nature works.” (2:08:05)
- “It’s not that Christianity failed. It’s never been tried.” G.K. Chesterton (2:19:18)
- A Hodgkin’s lymphoma diagnosed in 2017 helped Ryan better understand that life is a gift and love is the point. (2:32:09)
RESOURCES & FURTHER READING
- Time magazine pieces by Elizabeth Dias on the evangelical fight over gay marriage and how evangelicals are changing their minds about it
- Shankara’s Crest-Jewel of Discrimination
- The Seven Storey Mountain by Thomas Merton
- Carl Jung’s Individuation Process
- The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements by Eric Hoffer
- Tao Te Ching: The Book of Meaning and Life by Richard Wilhelm
- The work of Huston Smith, Ken Wilber, Joseph Campbell, Terrance McKenna, Bill Plotkin, Matthew Fox, Thomas Berry, Brian Swimme and Thomas Keating
- Rudolf Steiner: An Introduction to His Life and Work by Gary Lachman
- The Third Jesus: The Christ We Cannot Ignore by Deepak Chopra
- Oneness vs. the 1% by Vandana and Kartikey Shiva
As an Amazon Associate, we earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Share this episode!
This podcast wouldn’t be possible without the support of our awesome sponsors, each of whom are offering an exclusive discount for Living in 4D listeners.
As partners with our sponsors, we earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
START LISTENING TODAY
Listen to Living 4D with Paul Chek on your favorite podcast platforms!
Listen on – Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | Spotify