Show Notes Episode 25 – Dave Murphy: The Truth About Glyphosate
For Earth Day, we have a special Living 4D conversation in store for you: Dave Murphy calls it “a global call to unite for all who care about Mother Earth.”
Dave is the founder and executive director of Food Democracy Now!, an organization dedicated to protect family farming and the safety of our planet’s food supply.
Today’s conversation ranges over food policy and factory farming, but in particular it focuses on the chemical glyphosate – one of the primary ingredients in the herbicide Roundup.
Beyond the podcast, if you’d like to learn more about the damage herbicides like glyphosate do to our food supply, read the free report: Glyphosate: Unsafe on Any Plate.
Concerned about your long-term exposure to pesticides and glyphosate? Living 4D listeners can save 5 percent on a hair test at The Detox Project by using the promo code detox5 at checkout!
The Detox Project also offers testing services for food and water via a home testing kit too.
- The biotech industry spent five times more in lobbying to prevent the labeling of genetically modified foods in California. (10:55)
- Seventy-five percent of America’s food supply — if you’re eating processed foods — is genetically engineered. (12:10)
- Farmers in India committed suicide in record numbers due to Monsanto convincing them to convert to genetically modified crops. (18:29)
- Dave’s father predicted an epidemic of cancer in rural America due to the unprotected use of pesticides a long time ago. (25:49)
- Could Bayer, Monsanto’s new parent company, be worse? (29:17)
- “Food is not just energy. Food is critical information.” (39:43)
- A brief history of glyphosate. (48:10)
- The EPA allows chemical companies to submit their own research to justify product safety. (1:01:37)
- Residues of pharmaceutical drugs are finding their way into local water systems. (1:06:32)
- White Wonder Bread contains no glyphosate! (1:17:37)
- “In the Midwest at land grant universities, soil is not taught [to be] a living, dynamic biological organism.” (1:23:35)
- Could companies like RootWave help us get rid of weeds without chemicals? (1:28:49)
- The marketshare for agriculture and the production of seeds is controlled by four or fewer companies at between 60-80 percent. (1:42:09)
- How to know what’s a legitimate organic certification program. (1:47:52)
- The concept of regenerative agriculture. (1:59:17)
- Ever heard of golf course syndrome? (2:04:30)
- What public areas aren’t being sprayed with glyphosate? (2:06:33)
- Support nonprofit organizations like the Cornucopia Institute, Center For Food Safety and U.S. Right To Know. (2:19:03)
- Silent Spring by Rachel Carlson
- The controversial 2014 New Yorker piece on Vandana Shiva’s fight against genetically modified crops
- A California jury determines Roundup caused a man’s cancer in late March
- The Insect Apocalypse is Here from the New York Times Magazine
- Soylent Green
- Glyphosate-based herbicide exposure affects gut microbiota, anxiety and depression-like behaviors in mice from Neurotoxicology and Teratology, May-June 2018
- Impaired associative learning after chronic exposure to pesticides in young adult honey bees from the Journal of Experimental Biology, April 11, 2018
- Pesticides in Mississippi air and rain: A comparison between 1995 and 2007 from the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
- An Agricultural Testament by Sir Albert Howard
- Farmers of Forty Centuries: Organic Farming in China, Korea and Japan by F.H. King
- Whitewash: The Story of a Weed Killer, Cancer and The Corruption of Science by Carey Gillam
- The Secret Life of Plants by Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird
- The Demeter Association