You have come to the right place for the answers to your questions! If your answer is not here, please call us at 800-552-8789
internationally or email us at [email protected]
Don’t be shy, we are always here to help, or at least we are from 8 AM to 5 PM, Pacific Standard/Daylight time.
General ATP FAQs
1. What are the CHEK Institute Advanced Training Programs (ATPs) offered by CHEK Institute?
The CHEK Institute’s Advanced Training Programs are elite-level educational programs that are geared towards health and fitness professionals. There are three educationalpaths to choose from at the CHEK Institute:
- Holistic Lifestyle Coaching Path (3 levels)
- CHEK Practitioner Path (5 levels)
- Golf Performance Specialist Path (1 level)
Holistic Lifestyle Coaching
1. What is Holistic Lifestyle Coaching?
Holistic Lifestyle Coaching (HLC) is a discipline that seeks to improve a client’s overall health and vitality by assessing their current stress loads and implementing a coaching program that will help reduce those stress loads through healthy eating habits, lifestyle management and appropriate types of exercise.
2. Am I right for Holistic Lifestyle Coaching?
We have found that our HLC program best compliments the following professionals:
- Personal trainers
- Massage therapists
- Fitness/athletic coaches
- Yoga instructors
- Pilates instructors
- Rehabilitation specialists
- Holistic health practitioners
- Life coaches
- Mental health professionals
3. I’m not a professional. Can I still take HLC 1?
Yes, of course! HLC 1 can be taken by both practicing professionals and non-professionals alike. In fact, we get quite a number of mothers taking HLC 1 simply because they want to implement holistic lifestyle principles with their families.
4. What will I learn as a CHEK Holistic Lifestyle Coach?
As a CHEK HLC, you will learn the underlying causes of disease and stress, considering the body as a “system of systems.”
Using a coaching model, you will learn how disease and stress are preventable through proper eating habits, lifestyle management and appropriate types of exercise. You will be trained on using HLC tools, assessments and questionnaires to assess your clients objectively. Fitness and healthcare professionals haveused their HLC training to offer a whole new service to their current offerings.
5. How long does the CHEK Holistic Lifestyle Coach program take to complete?
On average, you should budget about one year per each of the three HLC levels. That means that if your goal is to become
an HLC Level 3, then you should realistically budget about three years to reach that goal. It does depend on your current level of training and experience, so those with more experience in the industry can progress faster. We do recommend you allow yourself ample time in between each level to implement and use the tools and skills that you have acquired from each level before progressing on to the next.
6. Can I start seeing clients before I become an HLC Level 3?
Yes, you can! What’s great about the CHEK HLC program is that as soon as you complete your first level, you’ll be ableto “earn while you learn” by taking on clients while you’restill a student with us. We generally recommend that a student progress to an HLC 2 level before they begin to take on paying clients in a professional capacity, however, that all depends on your current experience and scope of practice.
7. How is the HLC Program Delivered?
The CHEK Institute uses a unique “blended-learning” system comprised of part self-study and part live workshop with an instructor. Students begin their training by completing selected correspondence courses and/or prerequisite readings in the convenience of their home or office after which they attend a multiple-day live workshop with a CHEK Faculty Member to gain the hands-on training necessary for them to perfect their skills. It’s this live training that makes CHEK Institute-Trained Professionals the best in the industry.
CHEK Practitioner Program
1. How long do I have to complete all of the program?
Most people complete the program in three or four years. With dedicated study and by working with the techniques learned in the program each day, you can finish in two years. Or, you may wish to take a little longer. It is really up to the individual.
2. I’d like to speak to someone who is in the program – how can I do that?
Go to the “Find a Practitioner” page by clicking on the menu bar at the top of this page. There, you can search for a CHEK Practitioner located near to you. Simply call or e-mail one and ask if you can speak with them about the program – most will be very willing to talk with you!
3. I’m really interested in the program, what is my next step?
Fill out the notification form below. We’ll send you information on the Advanced Training Programs you are interested in, and help you decide when and where you’d like to attend your first course. You don’t have to commit to a specific date or location now nor do you have to put down a deposit. This form simply lets us know that you are interested!
4. As a Physical Therapist, I’m wondering if pursuing course work with the CHEK Institute will count for contact hours to maintain my PT licensure.
Though the CHEK Institute Advanced Training Program does not currently count as contact hours towards renewal of a Physical Therapy license, we have been actively pursuing this for some time and hope to offer this as an incentive in the near future.
CHEK Academy FAQs
1. Do I pay extra to become part of the Academy?
No, the whole point of the Academy is that all the correspondence courses and live advanced training programs are heavily discounted off the regular price.
2. Is there an upfront fee I need to pay to join?
No, all payments are calculated and spread over the 12 month term.
3. Can I complete all my training in the first few months and pay it off over a year?
No, the payment process is not a buy now pay later program; you must always be in front of payments before attending courses.
4. I am already a CHEK Practitioner level 1 and HLC level 1 and have purchased many of the pre-requisite courses for other levels – do I need to re-sit these courses and pay again?
No, you only need to purchase advanced training courses and correspondence courses you have not already purchased, however you must hold current CHEK Status. Your current CHEK qualification will determine which year you will enter the Academy at.
5. I already hold other medical non-CHEK Institute qualifications; can I join the Academy at a higher year?
No regardless of your current non C.H.E.K qualification – all students must complete each year, before progressing to the next.
6. There are a few of my friends who are interested in joining the academy. Is there a discount if more than 1 person applies for the Academy?
No, all applicants are assessed individually before being accepted onto the Academy. There are no further discounts available.
7. Can I complete the courses in the US as part of the CHEK Europe Academy?
No, all courses must be completed in the region which you are registered for the CHEK Academy.
8. If I get accepted onto the Academy, but find I cannot attend one of the workshop weekends, do I get a refund for that workshop.
No, you will be required to attend the workshop at a later date.
9. What if I join the Academy and cannot attend a live Advanced Training Program?
You must accept all course dates before being accepted onto the academy. If for whatever reason you are unable to attend one of these whilst in the Academy. You may transfer to a later course but only up to 45 days of the course start date free of charge ONCE ONLY in your entire time within the CHEK Europe Academy! If you need to transfer more than once you will be required to pay a transfer fee. If you cancel with less than 45 days of attending the course you will not be able to transfer and will be require to pay for the course again.
10. Can I pay up front for all years of the Academy and get a further discount?
No, you may only apply for 1 year, payment in advance is accepted but no further discounts apply.
11. On completion of year 5, do I automatically become part of the CHEK Institute Faculty?
No, all applicants for Team CHEK or CHEK Faculty must apply formally directly to CHEK Institute.
12. What if for some reason I need to leave the Academy midterm?
You will pay a termination fee- which will cover all the training you have received up to that point, without the Academy discounts. The maximum you will pay in the termination fee is the difference between attending the courses with the academy and completing the courses separately- without discounts.
13. What if I cannot afford to pay 1 month’s fee on the Academy, can I pay double next month?
No, your academy training will be put on hold. If this continues you will be sent a termination invoice and will be dismissed from the Academy.
14. Can I choose the location of the workshops and courses I wish to attend in the UK?
Yes, if there is availability on that course otherwise you will be required an available workshop or live course where available.
15. Is the accommodation provided at each workshop and course?
No, you will be given a recommended list of places to stay- but the accommodation, food and travel expenses are not covered by your academy fees.
16. Will I have regular 1-2-1 coaching with my CHEK mentor?
Yes, you will have a monthly scheduled call with your Mentor lasting 1 hour each month; additional coaching with your mentor is available directly with your mentor for a discounted fee.
1. What size Swiss Ball do I need?
Sizing a Swiss Ball for exercise:
The ball should be firm and the exerciser’s thighs should be parallel to the floor when sitting on the ball.
If your height is less than 5’2″ you will need a 45cm ball
If your height is 5’2″ to 5’8″ you will need a 55cm ball
If your height is 5’9″ to 6’3″ you will need a 65cm ball
If your height is 6’4″ to 6’9″ you will need a 75cm ball
Sizing a Swiss Ball for using as a chair:
Use one size larger than you would need for exercise, and inflate until your thighs are parallel to the floor. The ball will be soft and more comfortable to sit on.
2. How much does the size really matter? If my husband is 5’10” and I am 5’5″ can we get by using the same ball?
It is important to use the correct size ball for your height, properly inflated! In just the same way that it is uncomfortable to wear a pair of shoes that are too big or too small, exercising on a Swiss Ball that is the wrong size can cause problems. Using a ball that is incorrectly sized does not allow the body to move in correct postural alignment, which is an important part of training.
1. How much does the information in different courses overlap?
Very little, except for the mini courses that are taken directly from a larger course. For example, there are four mini courses that present the same material that is in Scientific Back Training; Functional Anatomy of the Back, Understanding Force Couple Relationships, Choosing a Lumbar Lifting Posture and Squatology. The other courses each focus on a particular