Kris Buchanan: From Olympic Athlete to Serious Illness to Whole Food Restaurant
Even athletes who achieve their greatest goal of competing in the Olympics can fall hard healthwise after their careers end due to a lifetime of unhealthy eating habits.
Former Olympian Kris Buchanan shares her story from rise and fall to recovery and opening her GOODONYA Organic restaurant in Encinitas, Calif., in this foodie Living 4D conversation.
Just for Living 4D listeners, try Kris’ HYDRATE, a certified organic electrolyte powder, and save 15 percent by using the promo code goodonyapaul at checkout.
- Kris thanks Sean Croxton for saving her life from a health crash. (7:44)
- Choosing organic foods is just a starting point. (17:11)
- How elite athletes were taught food is fuel: Eight McDonald’s pop-up restaurants fed some 10,000 athletes during the 1996 Olympics. (30:58)
- Did you know stevia was banned by the FDA until major food companies created their own versions? (45:09)
- “I’m dogmatic about not following a dogmatic diet. We’ve been yelled at every day by vegans for 20 years, and I’m over it.” (1:09:33)
- The myths about canola oil. (1:12:38)
- Electrolyte drinks: A symbol of everything that’s wrong with processed foods in one bottle. (1:34:32)
- The number one question Kris gets asked as a nutritionist: Can you got to the grocery store with me? (1:46:59)
- Is eating organic/biodynamic foods really cheaper and affordable in the long run? (1:53:35)
- The nocebo effect. (2:09:27)
- “Education is the only way you can learn how to live.” (2:17:11)
- Kris’ Coca-Cola tattoo on her ankle is a constant reminder about her journey to better health. (2:22:30)
RESOURCES & FURTHER READING
- weet Misery: A Poisoned World
- The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay
- The Soil Association
- Paul’s Living 4D conversation with Michael Judd
- Beating The Food Giants by Paul Stitt
- Your Body’s Many Cries for Water by Fereydoon Batmanghelidj
- The Living Soil and the Haughley Experiment by Lady Evelyn Barbara Balfour
As an Amazon Associate, we earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Share this episode!
This podcast wouldn’t be possible without the support of our awesome sponsors, each of whom are offering an exclusive discount for Living in 4D listeners.
As partners with our sponsors, we earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
START LISTENING TODAY
Listen to Living 4D with Paul Chek on your favorite podcast platforms!
Listen on – Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | Spotify