Shinzen Young: The Science and Practice of Progressive Enlightenment
You may be following a path toward enlightenment through mindfulness, but do you have a practice? What does having a practice actually mean?
Discover the important differences with Paul and noted mindfulness teacher and neuroscience research consultant Shinzen Young in this very contemplative Living 4D conversation.
Learn more about Shinzen’s work at his website and on Twitter.
- The universally important thing Asia did better than any other part of the world, according to Shinzen. (4:56)
- The creation of modern science. (10:03)
- Why the number 4 is significant. (17:11)
- Looking at a practice from two points of view. (27:50)
- Comparing ordinary and extraordinary happiness. (34:55)
- Defining contemplative-based psychospiritual growth. (42:20)
- Four dimensions of happiness. (50:55)
- Why Shinzen uses the word practice rather than meditation. (54:37)
- Concentration, clarity and equanimity. (1:02:32)
- “Most human beings will not experience extraordinary happiness until the very end of their lives, if then, unless they have a practice.” (1:11:17)
- The beneficial co-evolution of modern science and contemplative practice is what the mindfulness movement is really about. (1:26:00)
- How human history could radically change for the better within a century. (1:30:16)
- Why Shinzen uses the word equanimity. (1:44:58)
- The four parameters of a mindfulness practice. (1:56:44)
RESOURCES & FURTHER READING
- Science of Enlightenment: How Meditation Works and Break Through Pain by Shinzen Young
- The work of Richard Feynman, Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn and Walter Russell
- Mad Men
- A Brief Tour of Higher Consciousness and Stalking The Wild Pendulum: On the Mechanics of Consciousness by Itzhak Bentov
- Unified Mindfulness
- Shannon entropy
Share this episode!
This podcast wouldn’t be possible without the support of our awesome sponsors, each of whom are offering an exclusive discount for Living in 4D listeners.
As partners with our sponsors, we earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
START LISTENING TODAY
Listen to Living 4D with Paul Chek on your favorite podcast platforms!
Listen on – Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | Spotify