Sydney Singer: Your Bra May Be Killing You
Is it possible wearing a bra can harm a woman’s health to the point that it makes her more vulnerable to breast cancer?
Medical anthropologist Sydney Singer talks to Paul about the link between breast cancer and wearing bras and his battles with conventional medicine in this Living 4D episode.
For more information about Sydney’s work, check out his International Bra Free Study and Bras and Breast Cancer websites and his Facebook page, Free The Boobies.
Thanks to our awesome sponsors: Organifi (save 20 percent on your purchase by using the code CHEK20 at checkout), Cymbiotika (save 15 percent on your purchase when you use the code CHEK15 at checkout) and One Farm (use the code CHEK to save 15 percent on your purchase at checkout).
- A fateful encounter on a remote island jump-started Sydney’s exploration into the bras-breast cancer connection. (7:22)
- The psychological side that reinforces the use of bras: Feeling the need to be “acceptable” in public. (13:21)
- Why do images in anatomy and physical therapy textbooks depict woman wearing bras? (20:56)
- At one time, breast cancer was called nun’s disease. (27:19)
- The concept of light elastic forces. (35:43)
- When women get rid of their bras, their breasts become less congested and lighter. (48:01)
- Wearing a sports bra during certain activities can help, so long as you take it off afterward. (58:53)
- The pros and cons of thermography. (1:05:56)
- How medicine views lymphatics is changing. (1:17:02)
- Should bras have warning labels on them? (1:26:40)
- One of Sydney’s dreams: People consulting with a medical anthropologist before their doctor. (1:34:03)
- “Humans are not rational. They rationalize.” (1:55:43)
- Did you know the American Cancer Society sells bras? (2:03:29)
- The synthetic materials bras are made of and the chemicals used to clean them can be a problem. (2:20:22)
- Young girls wearing training bras could have serious health issues later on. (2:32:30)
RESOURCES & FURTHER READING
- Dressed to Kill: The Link Between Breast Cancer and Bras, Get it Off! Understanding the Cause of Breast Pain, Cysts and Cancer and Get It Up! Revealing the Simple Surprising Lifestyle that Causes Migraines, Alzheimer’s, Stroke, Glaucoma, Sleep Apnea, Impotence and More by Sydney Singer and Soma Grismaijer
- The work of Dr. Robert Mendelsohn
- Tyranny of the Bra by Fred Harding
- Occupational Biomechanics by Don Chaffin, Gunnar B.J. Anderson and Bernard Martin
- Free the Nipple movement
- Paul’s Living 4D conversations with Nicole DeVaney and Matt Wallden on The Honest Vegetarian
Share this episode!
This podcast wouldn’t be possible without the support of our awesome sponsors, each of whom are offering an exclusive discount for Living in 4D listeners.
As partners with our sponsors, we earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
START LISTENING TODAY
Listen to Living 4D with Paul Chek on your favorite podcast platforms!
Listen on – Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | Spotify