I use many approaches to stimulate and support the change process.
Today, I’m going to share with you some principles that I’ve found really help my clients to both achieve their health goals and make their change process much more enjoyable.
Let’s start by acknowledging that change is a process, not an event. This is especially true when it comes to weight loss and adopting new eating habits.
To effectively support the process of change, I teach my clients a little bit of science. The science of neuroplasticity is revolutionizing the way we understand the power of our minds and our ability to change. What it has shown is that our thoughts can change the structure and function of our brains, even into old age, and that there are 7 key attributes or attitudes that facilitate behavioral change.
Whether you’re looking for effective coaching strategies or wanting to cultivate your own mindset that will create the body of your dreams, fostering these 7 attitudes will help to positively reshape your brain to achieve your long-term, medium-term and short-term goals. No longer does the process of change have to be hard or painful.
- A – Acceptance of Self – Give yourself a “Clap not a Slap”! Remind yourself of what you are doing well no matter how small.
- B – Belief in Self – “Be Curious not Critical”. What are the possibilities? Use visualization and your imagination. For example, how would you look and feel in your ideal body?
- C – Compassion for Self – “Feedback not Failure”. What have you learned from your choices and experiences? Every choice is an opportunity to learn and create a greater awareness. Reflect on what you can learn from that choice rather than dwelling on it.
- D – Dopamine – “Fun not Force”. Your change process needs to be fun, rewarding and enjoyable. What are the rewards?
- E – Excitement – “Excitement not Excuses”. Be clear on your WHY or over arching dream. Remind yourself of your WHY when self sabotage or excuses arise. When your WHY is well thought out, then aligning choices and decisions to reflect your WHY is easier.
- F – Focus – “Winning not Sinning”. Focus on what you want. Wherever your focus goes, energy flows.
- G – Gratitude – “Gratitude is Your Best Attitude”. Acknowledge all that you do have in life right NOW.
As I said, these are principles I often help my clients to reach their health goals, but they can help you with any change process or objective.
So if you’re struggling to achieve your goals, try implementing some of these principles in your life. Not only will they help you reach that goal, they’ll make the process of reaching it all the more enjoyable.
- 4 Reasons to Add Bee Pollen to Your Meal Plans - December 22, 2014
- Blitz It: 5 Tips To Boost Your Brain and Your Grades - November 26, 2014
- Butter: Friend or Foe? - October 22, 2014